Saturday, May 15, 2010

DSA driving practical test show me tell me- Part 1

Once you have passed the driving theory test you can then apply to take your practical driving test. The driving part of your test will last about 40 minutes. Throughout the test your examiner will be looking for an overall safe standard of driving, including when you are carrying out the set exercises. Show me tell me questions are one of the part of your driving practical test.

These questions in the DSA practical test aim at checking your knowledge about the car safety and maintenance. In this "show me tell me"/"tell me show me" section, you are required to show the examiner how to check the brakes, fluid levels, lights, direction indicators etc. "Show me" type question is to demonstrate your knowledge about the asked question by the examiner. "Tell me" is verbal type of a question. Though answering incorrectly for 2-3 questions does not fail you in the driving practical exam, there will be 1 minor fault. 16 or more minor driving faults, or one serious or one dangerous fault will result in a test failure.

Below are some of the Show me tell me questions which may be asked in your practical exams :

1) Engine coolant:

Q : Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check that the engine has the correct level.

A : Identify high / low level markings on header tank (where fitted) or radiator filler cap, and describe how to top up to correct level.



2) Engine oil:

Q : Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil.
A : Identify dipstick / oil level indicator, describe how you would check the oil level against the minimum / maximum markers.



3) Windscreen washer fluid:

Q: Identify where the windscreen washer reservoir is and tell me how you would check the windscreen washer level.

A: Identify reservoir and check level. Check your car's manual to see how to do this.



4) Brake lights:

Q: Tell me how you would check that the brake lights are working on this car.
A: Operate brake pedal, make use of any reflections in windows, garage doors etc, or ask someone to help.



5) Brakes:
Q: Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
A: Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicle should not pull to one side.




6) Tyre Pressures:
Q : Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
A : Manufacturer’s guide, use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold, don’t forget spare tyre, remember to refit value caps.




All examiners are trained to carry out the test to the same standard, they do not have pass or fail quotas. So as long as you demonstrate the standard required you will pass your driving test.

Get the good driving instructor and learn all the rules and regulations required for your practical test with all the show me tell me questions and pass your driving test accordingly.

123driving.co.uk provides you with all the information of driving course and related driving activities. It also provides free driving lesson booking service for students looking for local driving instructors, ADI, schools within your local area.

No comments:

Post a Comment